Saturday 6 July 2013

Time Goes By

I cannot believe how time is flying by. I looked at the calendar last night while we were having dinner and actually asked, "Why is the calendar on July?" I got some very strange looks from the rest of the family. So here we are, July 6. The girls finished the school year last Thursday and started day camp this past Monday. We've roasted hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire and we went to see fireworks this week.

Roasting Hot Dogs

Marshmallows

He refused to roast it, but insisted on eating it off the stick.

More marshmallows




The majority of my garden is in, but I still have some pepper plants and some ground cherries to get into the ground.
(Left to right) Beets, carrots, lettuce & kale, peas & cucumber, tomatoes.

You can see where I am working on making space for the remaining plants. I was hoping to leave that row of the garden empty because the close line runs overhead there, but I need the space for plants. The weeds are well rooted and difficult to get up so it's taking me awhile to get it cleared so I can put the plants in. I also have a zucchini and a yellow squash plant to the left of the garden. I didn't have enough space, so I dug a whole in the grass, put a piece of cardboard on top to hopefully kill the grass and planted the squash there. The garden has a whole needs to be weeded, but it's a time thing, especially since Little Guy is often reluctant to stay in the back yard. It'll get done eventually.


(Left to right) Sweet peppers, cauliflower, broccoli and weeds.



I tried a new bread recipe last week from my friend over at This Self Sufficient Life. This is by far the best everyday slicing bread I've ever made. The family all loves it, it doesn't crumble when I slice it and after sitting on the shelf for 4 days was only a bit stale around the crust. Even Husband, who specifically asks for store bought bread for his lunches, is now using this bread for his sandwiches. This makes me happy.

What else is going on? Husband has been working locally pretty much all year. As nice as it is to have him home, the overtime he typically gets April-November isn't happening. The overtime pay is what we put aside to prepare for the winter, it funds our summer activities and also was supposed to pay for a dumpster so we could empty the basement and set up shelving so I have a place for more preserved food. Doesn't it figure that the year we actually had a financial plan on paper (as opposed to making it up as we go) is the year that Husband works winter hours through the summer.

I'll leave you with a few pictures from the fireworks. Strong-Willed-One had tried to blow on her sparklers after it went out to make the end glow, but instead burned just under her lip. It's healing nicely considering that she keeps picking at it.


Waiting for the fireworks to start.

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment